Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Left Over Leftovers


Everybody going back to work after the holidays will have to contend with one of the greatest threats to waistlines and overall health known to man.

Holiday leftovers.

If you work anywhere that has a breakroom, no doubt this afternoon every shelf, countertop, and table was covered with plates of leftover ham, turkey, casseroles, veggie platters, homemade cookies, fudge, bread, and any and all conceivable type of sweets, homemade and otherwise.

This is, of course, a problem for those of us who are trying to either keep from gaining poundage, or who are actually actively trying to lose weight.

Such as yours truly.

I know, I know, initiating a weight loss/fitness program right smack dab in the middle of the holidays was not the best move on my part, but trust me, it was necessary.

I have been doing pretty good since the day after Thanksgiving, having only missed two scheduled workouts and deviated from the structured diet only for Tom & Brad's birthdays and the Christmas eve and Christmas day dinners.

But the temptations being placed in front of me in the breakroom are nearly irresistible. I have managed to incorporate the high protein, low fat leftovers, such as the ham and turkey, into my daily meal plan - and some very delicious deviled eggs, too.

Not being a huge fan of sweets, most of the sugary, high fat stuff is fairly easy to avoid.

However...someone brought in garlic mashed potatoes...saturated with butter. Real butter, not that fake crap.

It's been a long, long day. I am optimistic about my chances of avoiding the carb bomb that is sitting on the counter in the breakroom, all innocent like in it's large, colorfully decorated ceramic bowl. Right there, next to the toaster oven. I have barely even taken notice of them.

The Devil is garlic mashed potatoes saturated in real butter. I need a priest, a minister, a vicar, a rabbi, a freakin' wizard for Zeus sake. Someone, anyone, to stand between me and that bowl of mashed and whipped culinary delight.

Fortunately, whoever brought them in did not bring in bacon bits. I would have already caved if there had been bacon bits. 





No comments:

Post a Comment