Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Monday, January 21, 2013

Resolved To Tackle A Few Resolutions

                       Glasgow, Scotland, My 5th Favorite City In The World
    
I resolved not to write a blog about New Years Resolutions until at least three weeks into the new year. It's Jan 21st - I kept my resolution!

See how easy that was?

I like New Year's Resolutions. They give a definite starting point for taking action. That works for me.

I know people who believe that's ridiculous, that if one has a bad habit or wants to learn or do something new, then they should just get the endeavor underway the minute it's thought of.

Right. 

See, that's good in theory, but history bears out the practicality of planning and preparing for a course of action, and that generally means that a start date will need to be fixed.

As the holidays almost always result in me throwing out all discipline when it comes to diet, exercise, budget, etc., the 1st of January is a freakin' convenient time to start getting everything back on track.

That's all my New Year's Resolutions ever are, just me getting back on track. Getting back to healthy eating habits, going back to the gym on a regular basis, doing away with the cavorting and carrying on of the holidays.

Not that I do a lot of cavorting and carrying on, but what little I do, I stop.

Every so often I will add something to my list of New Year's Resolutions, something I want to accomplish or at least attempt.

This year, along with the usual eat healthy, go to the gym regularly, draw daily, paint weekly, learn Spanish, write a novel and read In Search Of Lost Time, I added "Sculpt something".

I've never sculpted. Not even Devil's Tower in mashed potatoes.

This year, I will sculpt something. Not quite sure what yet, but 'm going to do it.

The medium of choice is still up in the air. I don't want to go overboard and attempt to carve something out of granite or marble. It would have to be an affordable medium, too, but I want it to be more permanent than clay.

Maybe bubble gum. Gum is cheap, and pliable, and that stuff last forever. I wonder if I could sculpt a statue of the three stooges riding Dumbo the flying elephant in gum?*

It's worth a shot.

*This is not a clever idea on my part - I watched Neal Adams draw this for a fan at an S.D. Con in the '70's, at the fan's request.






No comments:

Post a Comment