Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shut Up And Get Out Of The Way


In the the '80's a radio station pioneered classic rock
And back then, without Sirius or the Internet, I was stuck
Listening to oldies that had been old when I was young

I wanted to hear the new sounds, I wanted to hear Punk
I wanted to hear what the old folks were calling junk

Now everyday I hear music that I just can't stand
It's derivative, it's degenerate, with lyrics I can't understand

And I try hard to remember how much I hated old people
Who criticized the music I wanted to hear
I try to remember to shut up and get the hell out of the way

I hate when I hear myself say this sucks, they can't sing
Damn the need to compare everything to 1983
Every generation has it's own music, movies, and dance

The older generation has an obligation to the new
Step aside and let the next generation through

It's hard to remember I had my time, I had my day
There is no point in trying to live in yesterday

So hard to remember how much I hated old people
Who criticized the music I wanted to hear
Try to remember to shut up and get the hell out of the way

It's their time, it's their day
Shut up and get out of the way

Shut up and get the hell out of the way
Get the hell out of the way
Out of the way

Out of the way


3 comments:

  1. I saw a dead head sticker on a cadillac (don't look back you can never look back).
    I still have a mix tape you made me back in the early eighties.-Black flag,Dead Kennedy's,Dead Milkmen(Bitchen Camaro) etc..But I have no way to play it so it's hard yo say what's on it for sure.I still listen to some Punk but it's mostly cow punk,still go to concerts I'm the old guy at Social distortion that think's he knows all the words.

    May 6 1986 San Diego State Backdoor
    Husker Du

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I have to get my hands on a working tape player - I have a ton of mix tapes that are just gathering dust. I don't know if you'll remember this, but waaaay back (I think I was a Junior in HS) at a party in Lemon Grove my sister Theresa drug me to that you were at with Evans, Ritchie and Sames, you put a tape on that opened my ears wide - it was Duty For The Future Now by DEVO. I'm still de-evolving.

    Husker Du...fcuk yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They tell us that we lost our tails

    Evolving up from little snails

    I say it's all just wind and sails

    Are we not men?

    We are Devo!

    Are we not men?

    D-E-V-O

    We're pinheads now we are not whole

    We're pinheads all -Jocko Homo.

    Now listening to Claude Coma and the Iv's on my hand cranked Edison/Victrola Hybrid ,is this what they mean when they say old school?

    ReplyDelete