Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Six Days In San Diego


The Ellie Cat II in S.D. Harbor. What happened to Ellie Cat I?

This past week went by fast. It was as fun-filled a week as I've had in many a year, being with friends and family, revisiting old haunts and a few new ones.

   He's right there, in the blue hat...

The primary reason for this visit was to see my youngest nephew, Joey jr., graduate from High School. It was a hot East San Diego afternoon...the graduates were awarded their diplomas in alphabetical order...Joey's last name begins with a Z...

 Joe, Patti, Tommy, Mom, Joey jr., Theresa, Adriana, CRB

My Mom is looking more and more like Dame Judy Dench as she ages, which is odd, as she looked quite a bit like Queen Elizabeth 25 years ago.  

                                      Obligatory first day in S.D. visit to the beach.

Of course, every single day I was in S.D. I made it a point to visit a beach. Going all the way out to the West Coast and not visiting the beach would be a cardinal sin akin to going to Paris and never visiting the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower.

 
Eddie and Rick at the Mission Brewery

As I wrote previously, Craft Breweries are springing up all over San Diego County. Thursday, Rick, Eddie and I stopped in at the Mission Brewery, housed in the old Wonder Bread factory downtown, to sample a few of their products before the Padre game.

The people behind the Mission Brewery did a great job of both repurposing and restoring a classic old building, and they make a mighty fine Imperial Stout as well!

Eddie, Rick, and CRB at the Padres 6-3 win over the Dodgers  

Petco Field lived up to it's press clippings. It's a great ballpark, with a small ballpark within the ballpark where wiffleball games can be played, a nice grass-covered hill for people to watch the game from and pic-nic (behind deep centerfield) and a comprehensive history of baseball in San Diego that can be read on the walls of the ballpark as you walk around.

 The house in which I was raised. The wall is new, as are the vinyl windows, garage door, and grass

I paid a visit to the old neighborhood, as previously detailed. A few things have changed, but for the most part it all looked the same.

 Carissa and RT (Those two have been married 26 years!), and CRB

Vacations are notorious for adding a few pounds to one's frame, and this one was no exception. After numerous visits to various Brew Pubs and restaurants, I came back to Colorado nearly 10 full pounds heavier. Ugh.

Eddie, Rick and I visit yet another Brew Pub

The city of San Diego has undergone a few changes since I last lived there (that would be...mid 1989). The old Naval Training Center in Point Loma has been transformed into a large mixed-use complex, and boast the largest Brew Pub/Restaurant in San Diego - Stone Brewing World Bistro and Gardens.

Bocce Ball at Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Brewing poured over $8 million into renovating the old mess hall and some surrounding buidings, and it shows. The place is fantastic, and serves up brews and food befitting the investment.

Trying not to let the sun go down on solstice

Spent the summer solstice on the boardwalk in P.B., which was great. Had a machaca burritto from a place that used to be Roberto's and good, but is now El Rubeira's or some such name and is bad - stay away!

 Obligatory surfer pic

All the little walk-up Mexican restaurants along Mission Blvd and Garnet have a lot to do with how I gained nearly 10 pounds in 6 days despite all the walking I did. I just love me some chorizo!

Obligatory albatross pic

Waking up and making my way to the beach first thing was absolutely fantastic. A few of the mornings I was there before the fog had burned off and that cool mist still hung in the air. That's one thing I really miss about San Diego, the fog.

Joey jr's graduation party - his parents know how to cater! 

Joey's graduation party was Saturday, and Theresa and Joe planned for a small turnout of family and close friends, so only about 50 to 75 people. That's small when you marry into an Italian family.

Bro Tommy, Julia (their son graduated from college last month) and CRB  

Being with most of my family, seeing my Mom in good health, going out with good friends, and experiencing 
the new Craft Beer culture almost made me want to move back to San Diego.

Almost. 

 Fine Art show at the Del Mar San Diego County Fair

This was my first visit back to San Diego in June in over 12 years, and the timing was perfect for the fair in Del Mar. In my previous post about the fair I failed to mention many of the things about the fair that I truly enjoyed, as that would be a long list. 

Everything from the Fine Arts show, the Woodworking and Gem Show, the livestock (4H competitions are great), and of course the Midway, are all without peer.  

 Holocaust Memorial at the Del Mar San Diego County Fair

Other than seeing my family and friends, the visit to the Fair in Del Mar was my favorite experience this trip out. I had a great time just taking in all the improvements and wolfing down fair food.

 Beautiful wide traffic-free California freeways...not a phrase used often

Heck, I even enjoyed driving on the freeways again in San Diego. Once you get accustomed to the fact that speed limits are merely suggestions and start going with the flow, you do alright.

                                Picture of an artist painting a picture of the coast

Thanks to everyone who made this trip a great one, and congratulations again Joey! Welcome to the real world!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment