Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

This Is Not A Review Of The Freeway Revival Performance In Westminster On Wednesday, 10/09/2013

              Cartwright Brandon, Adam Clayton, Jon Clayton, and Joey Lee getting ready to jam

Tonight I happened to stumble into meeting a little rock/blues/country band hailing from Asheville, North Carolina. The quartet consisted of twin brothers Adam and Jonathon Clayton (Adam sings and plays the piano organ, Jonathon is one of the two guitarists), Cartwright Brandon (Behind the drum kit) and Joseph Lee (the other guitarist) - they call themselves Freeway Revival.

They were in the middle of a cross country tour, and were getting ready to play a set at the Blitz Sports Bar in Westminster where I happened to be hosting a live trivia game. I introduced myself to the band after I had wrapped up the game, and visited with them for a bit.

All four of these guys were just great people, and I enjoyed the short talk we had. Unfortunately, I had to get going (have a very important obligation early in the morning), so I was not able to actually stay and enjoy their show.

And enjoy their show was pretty much what I'm sure I would have done had I stayed, as I bought the CD they had available before I left and listened to it as I made my way home.

The CD is titled Songs From Home, and it does indeed have a down home feel. There are twelve original tunes on the disc, and all of them are worth listening to. As I drove home I had to fight the urge to turn around and go back to watch them play - it took every bit of willpower I had. 

The 12 original songs on the CD will remind most people of the Allman Brothers or maybe the Rounders. The lyrics speak of life as the average person lives it, and are fairly easy to relate to. The musicianship is impressive as well, with the two guitarists able to create pleasing harmonies on a number of the songs, and the work of Adam Clayton on the keyboards, whether piano or organ, is quite impressive.

Damn, I should have gone back to catch their set. Stupid responsibilities! Oh well, at least I've got a great CD to listen to.



  

1 comment: