Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Due In From Boston Mass, USAW


Wednesday, September 3rd I boarded a plane for Boston, Mass (by way of Charlotte, NC). It was with no small amount of apprehension, as I was going to be meeting up with a dear friend I had not seen in over a decade.

Now, this was not some run-of-the-mill dear friend, such as a high school classmate or old AF buddy - no, this was the dearest of dear friends, one with whom I had shared some of the absolute best times of my life and...some of the absolute worst times of my life.

There were a number of other people I was to met up with again that I had not seen in so many years it is almost ludicrous to state, but none of them had been as significant in my life as LLN - not even close.

I'm not about to go all biographical here and give an in-depth history of our relationship, but I will spill that it began in 1986, when I was making another go at college (the second of many, many attempts to acquire a higher education) and ended for what I thought would be forever, here, in Colorado, back in 2001.  

But, to paraphrase Mr. Twain, that obituary was a tad premature. A few years ago we reestablished contact, and have maintained such via email and texting.

Yesterday I posted pictures of the Boston Calling music festival - that concert featuring the reunited Replacements was the impetus for the reunion I had with LLN.

But the concert, fantastic as it was, paled in comparison to the great time I had just being with LLN. It was surreal, to be sure, but it was also incredibly relaxed and easy, as if time and distance had never actually come between us.

The few days I was in New England passed far too quickly. Everyday, from sunup to well past sundown, was a great day. 


It's a long way from Denver, Colorado to Boston, Massachusetts, but if there ever was time well spent, it was definitely the time it took that plane to get to Boston - here's to spending that time again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment