Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, March 6, 2015

The Oddest Thing That Happened To Someone I Vaguely Know


This afternoon an old friend of mine sent me an email with a link to a livescience.com article attached that told the story of a man named Jason Padgett.

Here is that link: http://www.livescience.com/45349-brain-injury-turns-man-into-math-genius.html

My friend (who I will refer to by his initials, B.C.), wrote that this Jason Padgett is the same Jason Padgett who was the son of John Padgett, the man who owned Gold Star Waterbeds - from whom we bought the waterbeds and futons we sold (To recount the whole story of how I know John Padgett would take much too long - short story; I got into the furniture business by working a going-out-of-business sale for a furniture store that was closing it's doors in Anchorage - John Padgett was one of the Tacoma, Wa. based product suppliers for that business).

I read the article and was completely blown away. There was a little bit of biographical information about Jason that fit the Jason Padgett I had met in Alaska (it states he works in the furniture business in Tacoma, Wa., and the age is about right), but there were no pictures of him, so I remained a bit skeptical - I mean, it's the Sea-Tac area of Washington, there could be a number of Jason Padgetts there (Hell, my name is pretty unique, but if you Google it you'll find there are a number of people in the U.S. that share my name, including two in my hometown of SD).

So I did a Google image search and Bam!, there he is - the spitting image of his father, too. The story of what has happened to him is extraordinary, and there is now a book written about him. I'll have to pick up a copy - should be fascinating to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment