Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, July 18, 2015

The True Story For Tonight



We were all sitting around the firepit. The mood was convivial, jovial even. Then for reasons unknown the dog lashed out, jumping directly toward her face and biting her on the mouth.

The next few hours were spent in the ER, waiting to get her lip stitched up.

Addendum:

Yesterday I wasn't up for going into much detail on the incident - I was pumped full of adrenaline and somewhat in shock, so I just wrote down a few sentences to get the gist of it out.

So here is what went down.

Last Thursday night the neighbors who live two doors up the street from Brad's house experienced a personal tragedy. 

Last night Brad, Shel & I went over to their house to express our condolences. 

The three of us had been out playing trivia with Marv at Guido's, and after the game ended decided to meet up back at Brad's for a nightcap. When we arrived at Brad's, the smell of a fire burning was in the air - it came from V & A's backyard, where V and her son M were sitting around their firepit.

Brad suggested we load up the wheelbarrow with some firewood and join them, so we did just that.

We were met at the gate to their backyard by M, V's son. As we walked into the yard, a fairly large Pit Bull approached us, and let out a low growl. M assured us the Pit Bull was friendly, saying it was as harmless as a baby. Both Brad and I petted the Pit Bull as it passed by us.

We joined V and her son M around their firepit, with Brad & Shel sitting next to each other on a bench, and me sitting in a chair right next to Shel.

For about a half hour we sat around the firepit and chatted. That's when I needed a refill of my drink so I got up and, taking the empty wheelbarrow with me, headed back to Brad's house. While I was at Brad's house, he called me on my cell and asked that I grab a few beers for him and Shel, so I did, and then made my way back to the firepit.

It wasn't long after I was back in the chair next to Shel that we all heard the Pit Bull growling somewhere in the yard. M called out to the dog, and it came over to where M was. M petted the dog briefly, and then the dog walked over to where Brad and Shel were seated. 

Brad petted the dog once or twice before the dog turned toward Shel and without warning suddenly lunged up towards Shel.

Shel let out a scream when the dog did that, and at first I thought the dog must have slurped his tongue over her face - but as Shel stood up quickly and brought her right hand up to her face while the dog ran off, I noticed blood seeping out between her fingers.

Shel yelled out that the dog had bitten her on the face and started moving quickly towards the gate, followed by Brad & I. Brad told her to get in the car and told me he was going to drive her to the hospital, asking me to lock up his house while they were getting into the car.

Let me shorten the story a bit. Brad and Shel were at the hospital until 3:30 in the morning - the Doctor wasn't able to start working on her until 1:30. 

She received more than 25 stitches on the inside and outside of the right side of her mouth, and the whole right side of her face swelled up something terrible.

It is still a bit of shock to write it all down, still a bit unbelievable.


No comments:

Post a Comment