Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Top Ten Odd Things Within Driving Distance That I Want To See This Year

Our Lady of the Rockies near Butte, Montana. The fourth largest statue in the United States, built to honor women everywhere, especially mothers. My Mom being the most important person in my life I feel it would be a pilgrimage of sorts.

National Rod and Custom Car Hall of Fame Museum in Afton, Oklahoma. Darryl Starbird built his first car of the future in the late 1950's. Since then he has built over 300 cars of the future, and most of them are on display at this museum, which is run by his wife Donna. I must pay them a visit.

The Museum of World Treasures in Wichita, Kansas. This is a relatively new museum, and it is in Kansas, which somewhat begs the question, "What could possibly be there that is worth driving clear across Kansas to see?" Well, for starters,there is an American Pop Culture gallery on the third floor that boasts the actual pitchfork carried by Ray Bolger when he was playing the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

The Enchanted Highway, south-western North Dakota. A few years ago I was told about this stretch of road near Regent, South Dakota that has been decorated with scrap metal sculptures created by an artist named Gary Greff. This is definitely something I would consider worthy of...a road trip.

The Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. I've been wanting to see this building for as long as I've been back in the lower 48. It was built in the Moorish Revival style, and if the thought of a Moorish Revival building in the heart of South Dakota isn't enough to pique your curiosity, it's also filled with corn art - as in, art made from corn (and numerous other grains).

Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska. If it only had 350 antique cars on display, that would be enough of a draw. However, there are 50,000 items on display in 28 buildings, including airplanes, farm machinery, stage coaches, and even mounted sport fishing trophies. Who can resist that?

Teako Nunn's Giant Fiberglass Statues in Hatch, New Mexico. What can I say that the name of the place doesn't? Giant fiberglass statues. I'm in like Flynn.

The Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot, Idaho. Do I have to mention anything other than the Potato Industry Hall of Fame? I didn't think so.

Hall of Heroes Museum in Elkhart, Indiana. How the H.E. double-toothpicks could I be expected to not make a trip to a place known as the "largest superhero memorabilia collection in the world"?

Ames Brothers Pyramid in Buford, Wyoming. A 60 foot tall pyramid built in the late 1880's in honor of two brothers who, through hook and crook, helped get the transcontinental railroad built. It's in the middle of nowhere, but that's only a couple of hours from my house, so I have to go see it.




No comments:

Post a Comment