Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Monday, March 24, 2014

Pick Your Spot


Of all the pictures I have ever taken, the one above comes closest to my ideal of what a photograph should be. While the saxophone player is obviously the primary subject, the particular subway stop (77th street in Manhattan, near the Natural History Museum, if I remember correctly) contributes so much to the composition of the picture that it too is a primary subject. 

The juxtaposition of lines, curvilinear and rectilinear, as well as the brilliant splash of yellow hues, perfectly frames the busker. The way the tiles are arranged to suggest either the radiance of the sun or the entrance into a cave or tunnel is what actually made me want to take the picture, not the busker (who I gave a fiver to for allowing me to include him in the picture, BTW - always pay the talent).

There were so many angles in the composition I absolutely had to include the busker, as without him the picture becomes just a study in geometry and color.

That he was wearing a red hat and a green coat made it it all the better.

It's photographs like these, the one in 2 or 3 thousand, that make taking them all worthwhile. 

Or maybe I'm seeing more in this picture than is actually there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment