Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Neighborhood Car Show

I bought my house for the neighborhood, not for the house. 

When I bought the house 16 years ago it was in fairly sad shape - lower level slab had sunk at an angle away from the exterior wall so that it sloped until it was 4 inches below grade due to improper site preparation (a foundation slab poured directly on clay soil w/o any type of compacted fill - seriously), no insulation in a high-altitude climate that experiences several months of below freezing temps, single pane, aluminium framed windows, aluminium wiring, etc. 

Not only was every shortcut concievable taken in the construction of the home back in 1970, the cheapest possible materials were used as well. I still cannot believe permits were authorized and an inspector signed off on a C.O. for the structure - money-stuffed envelopes had to have changed hands.

I have since replaced all the bad stuff with new, leveled the floor and even changed a few of the poorly designed features (moved a staircase and a few door openings). If I had the means, I would have scraped the whole house and built a much better house at the get-go, but I didn't so I made do with what I had and over time the things that needed to be fixed or replaced were.

All that being stated, you may be wondering why I bought the house in the first place. Well, I answered that with the opening sentence. The neighborhood was and still is a truly great place, full of good people and within walking distance to parks, shopping, and everything else I need or want.

And the neighbors are not the type that keep themselves shut in their homes, sharing only the occasional greeting when you see them heading for work or coming home.

Nope, not my neighbors. My immediate neighbors and I get together for bar-be-ques and summer parties quite a bit, and this past weekend some of the neighbors even had a small car show. It was a cool little get-together, and here are a few pics I took from the tail end of that show,







No comments:

Post a Comment