Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Difficult Conversation To Have On The First Date

I once went on a date with a woman who told me
That she wanted to be the type of woman
That husbands leave their wives for

She explained to me that a woman who could do that
Take another woman's husband
Most possess an irresistible allure
Be incredibly beautiful
And emanate sensuality like the sun emanates heat

This woman, like myself, had been abandoned by her father
When she was still in diapers
And, like myself, she had never known her father
He had just up and left and never looked back

I asked her why she would want to be like that
And she said that her mother, who had never remarried
Was smart and beautiful and as strong as a person could be
So, she reasoned, any woman who could take her man
Must be smarter and more beautiful and stronger still

Even though this conversation occurred many years ago
I remember replying to her, with what could only be termed
Angry remarks

For I told her that my mother, too, was smart and beautiful
And as strong as a person could possibly be
Which to me had resulted in the belief that my father 
Must have been weak, must have been afraid
And did not possess the ability to appreciate my mother

I had determined that he had left my mother & us children
Not because he had been charmed by an irresistible Siren
No, I told her, it wasn't a sensual beauty that lured him
It was a woman as ugly inside as he was

She may have been beautiful, but I didn't know that
All I knew is she had to have had the heart of a vulture
To take a husband of six 
Away from his wife and children
And that my father must of been a vulture as well



No comments:

Post a Comment