Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, February 8, 2014

And So It Begins


This evening I found myself on the 16th street mall in downtown Denver. It was around fifty degrees warmer today than it was just two days ago, so there were a lot more people out and about. 

Like all major cities, Denver has it's share of panhandlers. I'm quite used to them, and for the most part just ignore them - yes, I am a cold-hearted bastich. You want to give panhandlers your spare change, knock yourself out. Myself, I do my bit in a way that I am comfortable with.

Also like most major cities, Denver has laws prohibiting aggressive panhandling. Meaning a panhandler can stand (or sit) on a sidewalk with a hand or cup out, but a panhandler may not approach a person and ask for change. It's not the most strictly enforced law, so occasionally one does get approached.  

This evening as I waited to meet a friend in front of a restaurant, I was approached by a fairly young man - early to mid-twenties would be my best guess. His request and the reason for his request: "Hey man, can you spare a few bucks so I can get some dank? I swear I'm not going to spend it on alcohol, I don't drink man."

I stared at this kid for a few seconds and then said, "Go away. I could care less if you smoke out, but I sure as hell won't be paying for it."

To which I received the reply, "That's cool man, I'm outtie."

Then the kid walked away from me and headed towards a young couple coming down Larimer.

That's just great. Now I have a whole 'nother reason to avoid downtown Denver. Baseball season is going to suck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment