Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, July 14, 2017

Saying Goodbye To Mom

This past Wednesday, the 12th of July, at Miramar National Cemetery located in the far northern reaches of San Diego, my Mother was laid to rest.


Being as how my Mother served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War, she was accorded a military funeral.

The service was, as one might expect, extremely emotional. 

Being a pallbearer at your Mother's funeral is difficult. Listening to the most mournful performance of Taps you've ever heard is difficult. 

Giving the eulogy at your Mother's funeral is the most difficult thing, ever.

I cannot recall clearly the words I said. All I can clearly remember were the many times I had to pause to dry my eyes and gather my composure,

I do remember that I made it a point to elaborate on what I consider my Mother's lasting legacy, what I consider the single most important thing my Mom ever taught me and my siblings - by example more than by directly imparting specific knowledge.

And that was perseverance. 

In the face of what most would consider overwhelming odds my Mother never gave up. Under the weight of what most would consider an unbearable burden to bear, my Mom simply shouldered on..

Geez...I had more to write, but once again I find I must take a break, regain my composure.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment