Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Heart Stopping Moment Of The Day


If you look very closely at the driver's side very rear tire on the tractor-trailer in this photograph, or maybe CSI-enhance it, you will notice that not much of the tire is actually there.

That truck was driving right alongside me moments before the photograph was taken.

The tire being in a mutilated condition is due to it blowing out with a loud snap/BLAM! just as I was making a move to pass that Semi. It went snap/BLAM! and then large pieces of tire debris flew off in my direction like shrapnel from a landmine, with a particularly large piece (maybe 4" X 12") slapping nearly dead-center of the windshield.

It happened so quick I could barely react, and the only reaction I actually had was to grip the steering wheel tighter and lift my foot off the accelerator. 

My heart, of course, was in my throat.

Pulled over to check for damage and didn't find a scratch on the car or a chip in the windshield. As both the trucker and I were cruising at 65mph, I thought that was incredible. Praises galore to Lexus, at least the glass and body departments.

I got back on the road and quickly caught up with the Semi, and it was just toolin' along oblivious to the fact that it was sporting a shredded outside rear tire. By the time I had caught up to the truck, My heart had returned to it's proper chest cavity, and I figured there was no way I was going to get the driver's attention, so I decided to pullover in the next town and grab a bite to eat.


The next town was Joliet, and it just happened to have a White Castle restaurant on the main drag (part of a stretch of historic Route 66, btw). I had been wanting to taste a White Castle burger ever since I heard the Beastie Boys bragging about them back in the '80's.


I picked up six sliders to go - I had to get back to Chicago in time to catch the Cubs vs Diamondbacks game at Wrigley, and it was due to get underway at 1:20pm.

I wolfed those tasty little sliders down quickly. They were indeed delicious, but they were also small - like, two-bite small.

Still, delicious. Absolutely.

I got back on the interstate and made for Chicago. On 90/94, heading into the famed Chicago Loop, traffic suddenly slowed to a near-standstill. The wail of a fire engine's siren pierced the air, and as I looked over into the southbound lanes I saw a car pulled over onto the far shoulder of the freeway...on fire. The car was on fire, flames and smoke billowing out from under the hood.

And once again I found myself counting my lucky stars...sure, I got slapped with chunks of rubber on my windshield...but it could have been so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment