Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, April 18, 2014

The Joy Of Sheer Dumb Luck


Today, for over the hundredth time in the past seven years that I have been making my particular commute to  (or from) work, I passed another harsh fender bender. 

It was a rear-ender, probably happened at 25mph, and there did not appear to be any injuries - the people involved were standing around talking to the police and filling out accident reports, there were towtrucks and police cruisers, but no ambulances.

As I passed the accident scene, the usual wave of relief washed over me. No, not the relief of seeing no one was injured (though I was glad to see no one appeared to be hurt), it was the wave of relief that comes from not being part of the accident.

See, I've been in a number of accidents. Hell, I've been hit by two different drunk drivers (one head-on collision caused when a drunk women veered into my lane, one a rear-ender caused by a drunk man failing to stop for the red light I was stopped in front of), and a number of sober drivers.

But, so far, I've been lucky. Very, very lucky. None of the accidents I've been subjected to (I've never caused an accident - I've always been the target it seems) have resulted in a serious injury.

So, selfish as it may seem to some, every time I pass an accident, I feel a sense of relief that I wasn't involved. I do also hope that whoever is involved is alright, and that the accident won't screw up their lives too much - but primarily I'm just happy it wasn't me.






No comments:

Post a Comment