Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, June 27, 2014

Just Sliding By


They all bragged about where they were from as if they had some control over the circumstances of their birth, some influence on where their parents had decided to settle down. It was an odd thing to listen to, the loud boasts, even then as a kid, when I was just as likely to join in with a loud boast of my own about the neighborhood I lived in.

That was one of the many things that struck me as strange in those pre-teen days, that and taking pride in the color of your skin. I was always confused by both. Not one of us had a say in either matter, and not one of us worked for either - they just happened to us, and that was that.

Eventually I learned that everyone needed something that gave them a sense of self-worth, that made them feel worthwhile. But even then I marveled at how few people actually were willing to put in the work to develop talents or abilities that could be considered worthy - most just seemed to want to proclaim nothing was something and deem that enough to make them worthy.

I still see it in practice nearly everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment