Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Monday, June 30, 2014

When Things Get Tough, Get Tougher


In the days of my youth I spent an extraordinary amount of time wishing life could somehow be made easier. I expended an incredible amount of energy and resources experimenting with various methods of trying to make life easier - losing myself in relationships, moving from one part of the country to another, exploring various religions and philosophical doctrines, etc.

My quest wasn't due to feeling like some disenfranchised white middle-class hetero slacker that nobody understood (primarily because I had never been a white middle-class hetero slacker - though, you know, two out of four), it was simply because life was damn tough, at least tougher than I wanted it to be.

It took me years of slogging through the crap to realize that it wasn't a matter of wishing and hoping that life would get easier. It was a matter of working like mad to make myself tougher - tougher than anything life could throw at me. 

I know, I know - kind of obvious. But I'm a slow learner when it comes to certain subjects...

No comments:

Post a Comment