Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Cheap Chainsaws & What To Do With Them


Awhile ago my oldest sister brought a small, cheap chainsaw she had bought at a garage sale over to my house. It needed to have the chain put back on it's track and the tension adjusted (She bought it for $2.00 because the previous owner could not figure out how to do that).

I had a little spare time this morning, so I decided to take the thing apart and see if it was something that could be done quickly. What I discovered, after cleaning out a lot of sawdust and grime, was that the thing was not repairable - at least not by me.


See, this cheap little piece o' crap chainsaw featured a tension adjustment screw that was saddled to the body of the tool by an extremely thin piece of plastic. Evidently, the previous owner had attempted to adjust the tension using more torque than that 1/8" piece of plastic could withstand, and it gave up the ghost.


Not only did the weak-ass plastic break, but so did half of the metal flange that pushed back on the chainsaw track arm to allow for tension adjustment.

I stared at these two very poorly made crucial parts of the chainsaw for a few seconds and then did what any man would in my situation - bagged all the parts up and threw them in the trash. 

That's two of my oldest sisters hard-earned dollars down the drain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment