Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, March 10, 2017

The King Of Oversharing

Received an email this morning asking if I thought that maybe some of what I was writing regarding my Mom's situation was venturing into oversharing. 

After considering what I have written in the past few weeks, and what I have been experiencing, I have come to the conclusion that no, I am not oversharing.

I am simply being open and honest about what I am feeling.

It's what I do. It helps me keep thngs together - therapeutic or cathartic if you need an academic term for it.

The same emailer also asked if my depression was becoming too much for me to deal with, to which I replied that I am not enduring depression - I am simply feeling sad as there is the distinct possibility I will be losing my Mom soon.

I also reiterated the point I made about what I have written here being therapeutic/cathartic for that specific situation.

It is tough, yes, it is emotionally trying, yes

But I have received a tremendous amount of support from friends & family. 

My childhood friend Mike M, whom I met when I was four and who was as close to a brother to me as someone who was not my actual brother could be, endured almost the exact same thing I'm going through now just a few months ago. He has shared with me his experience and has given me great words of advice and comfort.

Jeff L., whom I have known for thirty years, also endured almost the exact same thing I'm going through now just a little over a year ago and has also shared with me his experience and has also given me great words of advice and comfort.

The words from both of these men, these brothers of mine, were almost exactly the same. 

"Be there with her as much as I can, hold her hand, speak to her even when she appears to not be able to hear me. Hold her hand. Hold her hand and let her know you are there."

Someday you may have to edure this situation too, anonymous reader, and those words in the last paragraph are what you need to remember,

That, and not to be afraid to overshare. 

Being stoic, holding it inside? That's bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment