Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Transcendental Tree


I once knew a lunatic

Now, it is fairly common for people to claim
That they have known a lunatic 
                                       Or two 

Or at least someone who is fairly looney

But I'm not talking about a run-of-the-mill oddball here
No, this...*ahem*...gentleman was much more than simply                                           Weird
Far beyond what must folks would say quailified as 
                                      Out of his gourd

This man was a genuine, court-certified, as-seen-on-TV
                                      Lunatic

He was considered a "low-risk" lunatic, however
Not much of a danger to himself, or others

He lived under a bridge in the warmer months
In abandoned buildings when it got cold
                                      Or the Brother Francis shelter

He did not like to be around people

Said he could see people for what they really were
Said he could see past the disguises 
                                      Everyone wore
Most people were not-so-clevery disguised, he said,  
                                      As Saints

But there were very few Saints, he said. There were millions
                                     Of demons

And all of them, every last one of them, had but one purpose:
To trick you into betraying someone, or worse, betraying
                                     Yourself

You may be wondering how I got to know this lunatic

Well enough to get to know so much about a man
Who did not like people, thinking they were all demons
                                      Out to trick him
It would be great if I could claim that he saw I clearly wasn't a
                                                 Demon

But that wasn't the case

I met him one sunny Saturday evening in August 
When I was fishing down at Ship Creek
                                       
He came up to me and introduced himself
                                      Saying 
"Hello, my name is Steven. May I ask you a question?"

I replied, "Sure, what can I help you with?"

And he said, matter of a factly and in all seriousness, 
"Why are you disguised as a tree?"

Which caught me a bit off guard.

Then he said "Do you mind if I talk with you for awhile? I haven't had a real conversation in a long, long time"
                                       Then he paused for a minute

Before continuing with, "...and I really enjoy talking to trees."


                                     
                                      


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment