Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Being For The Benefit Of My Health...

This morning I weighed in 52 pounds lighter than I was on November 4th of 2020.

Some people might say that is amazing, some people might say that sounds drastic, and some people might say "How the hell did you do that?'

Me, I say "I'm only at the halfway point, got to stick to the plan and get to where I want to be".

Owed explanation: On November 4th of 2020 I weighed in at 320 pounds (that's slightly more than 145 kilos to just about everybody in the world outside of the U.S.).

I was, from a medical perspective, what is known as morbidly obese. I had known for a while that I needed to do something about my weight (for at least the past three to five years) but it was so much easier to do nothing (other than buy larger clothes).


The above picture is not of me at my heaviest - the above pic was taken when I was 13 pounds lighter than my heaviest weight. It is a pic of me at a BMI in excess of 41. That's morbid obesity - fairly disgusting.


The above pic here is of me when I hit the "50 pounds down" point. It's crazy that after losing fifty pounds I still have a BMI that is in excess of 36 and I am still morbidly obese. 

Crazy as in "Why didn't I do something about this before?"

Still, it's progress that I am reveling in. For starters, I do not have to spend 10 to 15 minutes putting on my socks and shoes anymore (and be exhausted afterward).

So, what did I do to shed 52 pounds between November 4th 2020 and March 28th 2021?

KETO, plain and simple. Last year I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in over six months and he had lost over 50 pounds and, as he put it, "felt better than he had in decades."

Naturally I asked how he did it and his reply was, "KETO".

We discussed the KETO diet extensively, and afterward I did a little research on the internet.

The basics of KETO looked simple enough - give up carbs, specifically those found in pasta, bread, starches & beer, and avoid sugar.

Simple, but as we all know, not really, for pizza and beer are a delicious combo.

But on November 4th of 2020 I committed to KETO, and I have not had pizza nor beer since then (beer is liquid bread, and it goes, as we all know (again), straight to the gut).

My carb intake most days is limited to 20 to 30 grams, I pretty much avoid sugar altogether (that part is fairly easy, never been a candy eater).

I enjoy a wide variety of foods (king of the omelet these days, and eating fish at least 3 days a week), and I'm not starving myself - fact is, I almost always feel full being on KETO.

I found a ton of positives and negatives about being on a KETO diet on the good ol' interweb, but when it came down to it the positives far outweighed the negatives, especially the positive of having a friend who has been on the diet lifestyle for awhile and had absolutely terrific positive results.

This coming Friday I see my Doctor for a physical for the first time since I started this - it's going to be interesting to see his reaction to my weight loss (my Doctor has been wanting me to lose anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds for over a decade now).

I'll post a follow-up to this in June.





No comments:

Post a Comment