Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Same Street Friend Of My Childhood


He was a mathematical genius in my 10 year-old eyes
Somehow he was always able to calculate tax
Had the total to the penny
Before we got to the check-out

That was when all we bought was cola and cream pie
Now he buys crack
And I pay down a mortgage

So many days spent together
Planning for a future that never came to be
Paths diverged, then disappeared from view
If he walked past me today 
I wouldn't know what to say

We stood on the sidelines 
Watching our friends fall over the edge
One by one
Never thinking for a moment
Our day, too, would come

Some days I'm hopeful something will open his eyes
And he'll come back
As if he was temporarily in storage

It wasn't too long ago I saw him from my 40+ year-old eyes
I searched his arms for needle tracks
He asked me to loan him a twenty
I held my tongue when I wanted to shout


No comments:

Post a Comment