Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Sunday, May 12, 2013

One Tough Mother

                               My Mom tossing a snowball for the first time in decades

Today in the US is by far the biggest of the Hallmark holidays. It's the nationally recognized tribute to Mothers.

My Mother always hated this holiday. She said "Everyday is Mother's Day - one nationally recognized day is a disservice."

How could I not agree? My Mom did everything for us. That is not an exaggeration. She did it all, by herself.

I was two when my father abandoned us, less than 6 months after my Mom gave birth to my brother Tom, her sixth child.

That's right, my Mom was left high and dry by my father when she had toddlers to raise - I always forget that somehow.

My Mom...she raised six kids...pretty much by herself...with little or no understanding of what it took to be a Mom (her own Mother had died when she was 13).

Through the turmoil of the '60's and early '70's with my older siblings, and the '70's and 80's with me and my youngest older sister and my younger brother, my Mom put up with tons of crap.

My Mom raised us the best she could with what she had, which wasn't much, in a neighborhood that was basically a suburban ghetto. 

My Mom wasn't the greatest at handing down life skills, she wasn't one to motivate or inspire us to be anything we wanted to be...she didn't have that example handed down to her, so she didn't have it to hand down herself.

What she did hand down were a few qualities that I didn't understand were to be invaluable to me as an adult. What she imbued in me, and my brothers and sisters, was a certain toughness. She taught us, by example, to persevere, to never, ever give up, to work, and work hard.

That's what she did, and she was doing that while I was being a crappy kid. Somehow it became part of me. It became a part of my entire family. If there is anything my family is good at, it's overcoming adversity, making do, adapting. 

Thank you Mom. You're the best.






No comments:

Post a Comment