Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Avoiding Disaster While Playing With Raster


Today seemed like a great day to play with Microsoft Paint. For awhile I had been wanting to try to ink a cartoon rough using MS Paint if only to see what was possible within the limitations of the dot matrix structure. 

It was a bit tedious, but also surprisingly interesting. My initial thinking as I used the pen and brush tools was that being one of those people who have mastered the Etch-A-Sketch would have been handy, as a steady hand and boatloads of patience are required.

The version of MS Paint I have is the one installed with Windows XP (I have Windows 8 on the laptop, but I was on the desk top, which is an antique in computer years, so I had to make do with Windows XP's version). The big difference between this version of MS Paint and the newer version is the ability to re-position text (not being able to reposition the text is annoying), and the effects brushes available via the added ribbon GUI.

I like the end results as the bitmap grid added character to the line. A little more practice and I could become a master of the raster.




No comments:

Post a Comment