Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Worst Run Restaurant In Lakewood Colorado - Baker Street Pub & Grill At Bel-Mar


Laziness, nothing more than laziness. That is the only possible explanation for the new "corporate" requirement at the Baker Street Pub & Grill at Bel-Mar in Lakewood, Colorado - that all patrons entering the establishment produce identification before being allowed in.

That was not the case this past Thursday, when my sister Patti and I enjoyed Fish & Chips (her) and Baked Salmon (me).

However, it was the case tonight, when a co-worker and I wanted to sit down to a meal at what I considered a good place to get a decently priced, well-cooked meal without having to drive downtown.

I am a fifty-year old man. My co-worker is in his late thirties. All we wanted to do was get something to eat. We were not looking to sit at the bar and knock a few back. We wanted food. I am not going to show my identification to anyone, anywhere, just to get a meal.

So I protested, and the 18 or 19 year old girl stationed at the door requesting identification insisted it was a new "corporate" policy that anyone entering the premises must show an ID. I requested to speak to a Manager, and within a few minutes, a Manager came to the door.

I explained to the Manager that I had been coming to this particular Pub & Grill since it opened, knew just about every one behind the bar (well, not him, so not everyone - there had been a lot of turnover in the past few months - Tom, Joey and Dina were gone, but Justin, Katie, and and few others were still with the place), and reiterated that, as a fifty year old man who looks every minute of it, I was not going to show my identification to get in.

I should add, for full disclosure, that I actually said "fcuking identification".

Which is when he told me he was not going to let me in no how, no way.

Fine. Just to give everybody a little background, this is what the Colorado Department of Revenue, Liquor Enforcement Division, explicitly states about requiring identification in a Pub & Grill (found on pages 9 and 10 of the directive):

"Do Patrons Have To Produce Identification And What Kinds Of Identification Can I Accept? 
Colorado law does not require a patron to produce identification when making a purchase of alcoholic beverages. Colorado law does not prohibit underage persons (those persons under the age of 21 years) from entering or remaining in a licensed establishment. However, Colorado law does prohibit any licensed establishment from selling, serving, or giving alcohol beverages to an underage person. Licensees should always check for acceptable proof of age if there is any doubt about the age of the patron. If an acceptable proof of age is not available from the questionable patron, no service or sale should be provided."  

Read that again. See the part where it states "...If there is any doubt about the age of the patron.

Also re-read the "Colorado law does not prohibit underage persons (those persons under the age of 21 years) from entering or remaining in a licensed establishment." part.

Enter just about any Bar & Grill in Colorado and you will see children - not 16 or 17 year-olds, but actual children. As long as they're not sitting at the bar and it's not 10:00pm, it's totally acceptable.

There are no "No Minors Allowed" signs in Colorado.

As I mentioned previously, I look every minute of my age. There is not a soul on this planet who is pegging me for 49.

Oh, I forgot a detail - Baker Street, as a beer and wine licensee in Colorado, is required to have food available for consumption during business hours.

Which is why my co-worker and I were there. Which brings us back around to my assertion than Baker Street is the worst run restaurant in Lakewood, Colorado.

It is not due to the actual management of the place - hell, the guy who refused me and my co-worker entry because I used the word "fcuk " in my vociferous protest may be a great guy and an even better manager. I have nothing really to judge him on.

What I do have to judge Baker Street on is the people at "corporate" who have decided that it is easier to just require that every patron, beer-swilling or burger-eatin', be checked, at the door, as opposed to training their people to properly identify potentially underage drinkers, and to respect those who have reached the age of majority.

Especially those who are significantly beyond the age of majority.

For some, this is not a big deal, and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Well, screw you. In the past week we've learned that the government helmed by a man who promised to put an end to incursions into our privacy has actually increased those very incursions into our privacy.

I am not a subject of the state. I am a private citizen. Fcuk having to show my ID to get a seat in a place for a damn hamburger. There are too many other places in Lakewood that have food on offer that is just as good if not better, without the lazy "corporate" staff directives.

It won't mean anything to "corporate" that I will no longer set foot in Baker Street. Hell, it won't mean anything to anyone locally if they never see my face nor the faces of any of my friends and family members. 

It's just a few bills a month, they won't miss it.

They have determined what business model works best for them, and apparently, one that does not require respect for the paying customer is it.











No comments:

Post a Comment