Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, June 15, 2013

This Year I'm Serious


The older I get, the more I enjoy exchanging gifts at Christmas. There was a point in my life when I viewed Christmas as a crass, hypocritical, commercialized distortion of the philosophy of Mr. J.C. Not anymore.

I have grown to understand that, like everything else, Christmas is what you make it. I chose to make it a holiday of recognition, and thus I exchange gifts with those I care about as recognition of just that -"Here, I care for you, have this carefully chosen gift in recognition of that.

It is now time to start shopping for Christmas gifts. No falling back on gift cards the week before Christmas, not this year.

I say this to myself on (or close to) this date every single year. But this year I mean it, this year I'm actually going to do it.

I say that to myself every single year, too.

My intentions, with which my own personal road to hell is paved, are good - but I have to admit, simple as it sounds, getting an early start on Christmas shopping can be tricky.

For instance, you don't want to get somebody something they want now but may not want in six months.

You also don't want to buy them something they may buy for themselves before Christmas, or something that might be outdated, outmoded, out-of-style, etc., before Christmas.

What a pain.

Will the current "hot" item still be desirable in 6 months? What if I buy someone a CD put out by a band they like now that they absolutely detest come December? What if I buy a couple a "couple" gift and they're no longer a couple come Christmas time? (I'm looking right at you and whoever you're currently with, Mr BB).

Worse yet, what if I find someone the absolutely perfect gift...and watch it's price drop in the Fall to less than half of what I shelled out for it in the Summer?

Maybe I'll just start addressing cards and hope nobody moves before December.

Oh vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment