Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Monday, August 4, 2014

But I Need That Knee!

                                                       Water, water...on the knee...

I was emailed a question the other day asking if I had discovered any new adventuresome hiking trails in or around the Denver area this summer, and it was disappointing for me to have to reply, no, I haven't.

Primarily because I have incurred a knee effusion, which is water on the knee to you and I. It is a condition that has a number of causes - gout, arthritis (osteo or rheumatoid), cysts, tumors, bursitis, infections, or, as in my case, overuse.

It is somewhat inconvenient to have a knee effusion. It's my right knee, and even though I'm a goofy foot, it still affects how readily I can move around. I wear a compression sleeve on it during the day, which helps a lot. 

There is not much pain associated with my particular case of water on the knee, just a little discomfort. I have to treat it with RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. It is most uncomfortable in the morning because, even though I sleep with my knee elevated, fluid still tends to accumulate and it makes the knee a bit stiff when I first get out of bed.

Six to twelve weeks is the prognosis for recovery. It's been over six weeks at this point, and while the swelling has subsided, it is still uncomfortable, especially at the end of the day. 

Other than the discomfort, the real nuisance is the limitation on my activities. Having to rest and ice my knee means I'm sitting in front of the TV a lot...and I've already re-watched the first six seasons of Mad Men three times already...



No comments:

Post a Comment