Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Just Ambivertin' On


Like the majority of people who have a circle of friends they engage with socially but who also enjoy some alone time, I am an ambivert.


Gotta be a label for everyone, eh?

Most people are familiar with the labels extrovert and introvert - labels that are slapped on either the overly gregarious or the decidedly isolationist. 

Psychologist have long held that every person manifests aspects of both extroversion and introversion, but that usually one or the other will be the overriding factor in how a person lives their life, what career fields they enter, and even how successful they will be in their endeavors.

Me, I excel at sales, I absolutely love the madness of crowds, have no problem getting into Karaoke night, and approach strangers nearly every day - which pegs me as an extrovert. However, I also love to spend hours reading, writing, drawing, and painting in complete isolation, which is pretty much introversion defined.

According to a Psychologist I once consulted's interpretation of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, I am spot on the classic ambivert, which is, to be honest, somewhat of a disappointment. 

I have always wanted to be a louder, more aggressive personality, one that commands attention and gets paid for it. I've always wanted to shade much more toward extroversion.

But I don't. I'm just a somewhat average dude living a somewhat average life. Right smack dab in the middle.

Oh well, just have to live with that. Being somewhat average is far better than a lot of the alternatives - and really, all of the extremes.


No comments:

Post a Comment