Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Man, I'm From Right Here

 


A website sent me a breakdown of my ethnicity according to the regions/countries of origin of my ancestors. 

Originally, the information depicted above also included a comparison of the percent of my ethnic background that most closely mirrored the ethnic background of an individual who is doing research through that particular websites DNA database, but I removed the individuals info as it's their business, not mine.

The data shows I'm pretty much a mutt (a fairly white mutt, but still a mutt). From most to least, the regions/countries of origin of my ancestors are as follows (in the breakdown shown above the order is by most common ancestry shared with the researcher).

Baltics (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia)   = 39%

Norway                                             = 12%

Sweden & Denmark                         = 11%

Eastern Europe & Russia                 = 10%

Ireland                                               = 8%

Scotland                                            = 7%

Germanic Europe                              = 6%

England & Northwestern Europe       = 4%

Spain                                                  = 3%

I noticed that Finland is not represented in the admixture, which is curious as I do have relatives in Finland. Maybe they moved.

While I am interested in my ancestry and the genetics I inherited for various reasons, I am not really all that keen on the idea that the area of the world where my ancestors originated means much of anything. 

I somewhat despise nationalism or regionalism or any other ism that determines a persons identity by the region/country where they/you were born.

It's the root cause of a lot of division and conflict, as evidenced by the historical record.

It's not like anyone has any say or choice in where they were born, you know? Simply put that's all just happenstance of geography.

I consider myself an Earthling (or Terran, if you need to church it up), as that's where, on the only scale that matters to me, I'm from.

An Internationalist, if you must.


No comments:

Post a Comment