Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Weeds In The Garden

Tom Long, Chris Bakunas (fka Long), Kathy Long & her daughter Brittany Martin

My family isn't close, not all of us 
I've read about families that faced tragedy or misfortune
Banding together, sharing their strength with one another
That's not us though, we are not of that ilk
Tragedy and misfortune pushed us apart
It really is quite a shame
We have very little in common, my brothers and sisters and I
We don't like the same music or read the same books
If pressed, I guess I could come up with a few commonalities
None of us liked growing up poor
But as a consequence, we're all fairly thrifty
Several of us have traveled extensively
I think that must be a delayed reaction
To feeling trapped in that abysmal pit of a neighborhood we got stuck in
After Dad left Mom for the second of his four wives
Or was it five? I can never seem to get that straight
His Dad, my paternal Grandfather Arthur, he had three wives
And his Dad, Great-Grandfather William, he had three as well.
My paternal Grandmother Agnes, she was the rebel, only married the once
That I know of
Grandfather's mother, Great-Grandmother Martha, she had three husbands  
Those spouse counts are all subject to revision - up
Mom's side of the family, they all stuck it out with each other
Maybe they didn't like the idea of having to break in someone new
Still, the paternal family tree looks like a kelp forest
being ripped apart by the currents
I've been married twice myself
The first time for almost 23 months
The second time, well, that was never much of a marriage
Not only did I not ever live with the woman
I never even lived in the same state with her
Yeah, that's a story right there
So, my family, we're not close, not like I think families should be
It really is quite a shame
Might be a good thing though, with all the half-siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles
Postage for Christmas cards alone would probably bankrupt me








No comments:

Post a Comment