Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Conversation With A Fallen Man Of God, Part I

Just by the way he slouched on the bar stool after asking the question I knew there was no way in hell we would be having anything remotely close to a pleasant conversation.

"Do I believe in God?" I said, repeating the question back to him. "Do you mean a specific religion's interpretation of what God is, or do you mean do I believe in an interpretation of God I came up with on my own?"

"What?" He looked a little puzzled. "You know, God, like, the God most people who believe in God believe in."

Twirling the thin straw in my drink I tilted my head right in order to get a better look at the guy. "In my experience, that right there is a statement so full of holes you could use it as a salmon seine. Most everyone I know who professes a belief in God has a pretty unique, individual idea of what God is."

"Well, the God I mean is our lord and savior, who sacrificed himself to save our wretched souls from eternal damnation." As he said this his voice went up a few decibels, as did a few eyebrows around the bar.

"Then you've lost me my friend, as that does not meet the description of God I carry with me."

His face seemed to tighten up instantly when I said that, and I thought for a moment that he was going to get up and find some other person to sit next to in the establishment.

No such luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment