Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

MCV & His Quirky Sense Of Humor

He was the type who had no problem humiliating himself if it would mean he would be able to get a depressed kid to smile. 

He was also great at impersonating celebrities, but would give them odd accents - for example, he once did a 15 minute turn as Elizabeth Taylor portraying Cleopatra but speaking with a lyrical Irish accent, which nearly busted my gut.

The guy literally would do anything for a laugh, but not in a boorish, oafish way - he wasn't arrogantly funny, and never sought humor at the expense of others. Oh sure, he'd poke fun at people, but only his closest friends who were always in on the joke.

One of the more off-kilter things he would do was act like we were in the middle of a sensational conversation whenever strangers would sit down near enough to overhear us - just start saying things like, "anyway, I grabbed the knife out of the girls body - I mean, what else could I possibly be expected to do? Then suddenly, there was aggressive knocking on the door and loud voices started barking out that they were the police and that I must open up or they would break in! My blood literally froze!" What could I do! Now you understand my dilemma, and why you must help me, why you must hide me!"

His ability to improv' like that, with an absolutely straight face, was legendary.

For absolutely no reason at all the memory of MCV popped into my head this afternoon. It had been probably more than a decade since I had last thought about him, and three times that since I last actually spoke to him.

Wonder whatever happened to that crazy goof.

No comments:

Post a Comment