Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Monday, April 3, 2023

War Movies Suck

    I was asked what my favorite war movie was and after thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that I no longer have a favorite war movie.

   I used to. I used to like movies such as The Sand Pebbles, Apocalypse Now, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Rad One, and Saving Private Ryan, but these days I cannot watch any of those films without being distracted by the fact that all of those films are portraying the worst of human behavior as entertainment.

   And that just doesn't work for me. 

   Yeah, yeah, I know, some of those movies were made to show how pointless war is, but that's something that rarely works to effect, at least not in my experience.

   Yeah, I also know that fighting a war against an invading force can be absolutely necessary for survival - I'm not contesting that.

   What I'm saying here is that making a movie about war for entertainment purposes sucks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment