Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Saturday, April 27, 2024

The Agreement

    The charming and unarguably handsome man across the table from her suddenly paused mid-sentence and said "Before we go any further, I need you to read and sign a document."

   He then pulled a few pages of tri-folded paper out from a pocket inside the left side of his perfectly tailored sportscoat and handed it to her.

  She took the proffered paper and opened it. Her eyes flashed over several paragraphs for a silent few minutes before she looked up and politely asked, "What the heck is this?"

   He looked into her hazel-green eyes and replied, "It's a consensual relationship agreement. My lawyer insists that you have to agree in writing that we are both entering into a relationship that is entirely voluntary and consensual on the part of both parties, which may lead to an entirely voluntary and consensual romantic and/or sexual relationship."

   With a look of disbelief mixed with curiosity on her face she shifted her attention back to the document and continued to read. 

   "This is a little off-putting," she stated as she read the terms and agreements section. "What does this stipulation that both parties agree to abide by one anothers pre-determined limitations and exclusions to the agreement exactly mean?"

   "That's an indemnity clause. If, for example, we both agree to never contact each other at our respective places of employment without previously agreeing that such action would be acceptable, then the aggrieved party will have the right to pursue a previously agreed upon remedy either through arbitration or adjudication." His speech and demeanor were calmly direct, free of any hostility or aggression.

   "Wow. I've been in a few relationships over the years and I have never seen anything like this. Is this for real? Do you hand this to every woman you date?" Her eyes were still focused on the document as she spoke.

   "No, I don't give that to every woman I date - this is only second time I've felt like I was with a woman that I liked and trusted enough to present it to. It's a direct result of the Me Too movement. I hope I'm not misinterpreting what I think are fairly strong signals of interest on your part, but I know for myself that I am very much interested in spending much more meaningful time with you, and, well, my lawyer insists I can't risk being publicly accused of inappropriate or unwanted attention or actions, you know?"

   Without reply she continued to read the document, flipping each page unhurriedly and repeatedly rereading a few of the paragraphs. Then she folded the pages back up and placed them on the table next to her wine glass.

   "I have to admit that at first glance this makes a lot of sense for both of us - and it does settle in my mind why you haven't tried to kiss me or even hug me yet. Those compliments followed by hand shakes at the end of every date we've been on had me thinking you were really not as interested in me as I am in you."

   He let out a small sigh of relief after she spoke and said, "I can completely understand that reaction, but believe you me, I am very, very interested in furthering this relationship."

   She held his eyes as he spoke, and when he finished she replied, "This being a contract, even a contract I find agreeable, I trust you won't mind if I have my attorney look it over?"

    "Of course, I insist on it. Would not make sense for you not to do that. Should we set a date to met up and finalize the agreement then? And should we bring our respective lawyers? You know, in case there are details that need to be hashed out?"

   "That sounds like a prudent course of action. Give me a few days to meet with my attorney and I'll get back to you with a few options for times and dates to seal the deal, okay?"

   His smile was one of both happiness and agreement as he slotted his credit card into the little vinyl folder with which the waiter had presented the check. "Fantastic, I 'm looking forward to our next date."

   The both stood as the waiter handed back his Visa. They stepped towards each other and simultaneously extended their right hands to one another. The handshake was warm and reassuring for both of them as they turned and left the restaurant. 

   The waiter, who had heard snippets of their conversation, silently nodded his head as he watched them exit together...but not together....yet.

   

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment