Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Blue Steel Sculptures Of Wichita

   Some people go to Wichita to get away from Opera, but not me. I went on a short business trip and in the time allotted to me for pleasure, indulged in my passion for public art.

   I found quite a bit, some good, some bad, some perplexing. 

   The art I considered perplexing consisted of steel girders that had been welded into random configurations, painted blue, and then placed along the west side of the Arkansas riverfront north of West Douglas ave.

   No attribution could be found as to the creator of these sculptures, and while they look like the work of abstract expressionist/constructivist sculptor Mark Di Suvero, they are painted blue, a far cry from the international orange or black or rust that Di Suvero prefers for his creations.

   Just going to have to regard them as mediocre derivatives I guess.












No comments:

Post a Comment