Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Feel My Pain

 


   She was on her cellphone as I approached the counter. About a minute or two of animated conversation later, she deemed it necessary to put up her index finger as if to indicate she would be with me in just a minute. 

   That minute passed and then another before she approached the counter to take my order. She stared at me while still listening to her cellphone, which was cradled between shoulder and ear.

   "A large coffee with two creamers and a bagel" I requested, and she pushed the appropriate buttons on the register without even as much as a nod of reply.

   I paid and stepped away from the counter to make room for the person behind me.

   The server had moved over to a large coffee pot and started filling a large cup with coffee. She looked over at me mid pour and mouthed "Did you want creamer?" as she continued to listen to her cellphone.

   "Yes", I replied, "Two please." She turned to pick up the bagel that had appeared in the small serving window as I said that, then returned to the coffee while replying to a question which the person on the other end of the cellphone asked (something to do with a party that was coming up). 

   She topped off the coffee and placed it on the small counter next to the foam plate with the bagel.

   "Was that two creamers?" She mouthed again, and I again confirmed my order. She then placed the coffee and bagel in front of me, and I took my order over to a small table.

   The bagel was fine but the coffee...no creamer.

   The woe was nearly overwhelming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment