She looked right past the magazine I was reading
And into my face
'said, "Whatcha reading?" like interrupting
Was a desirable social grace
I replied sarcastically but not smarmily
"An article on the lack of propriety in the modern world."
She laughed at that and retorted
"You're a funny lot, eh Mr. Penforasword?"
Setting aside the magazine I gave her a quick once over
And smiling, replied with little hesitation
"Doing the best I can to further international relations."
She laughed again and sipped her drink
While her fingers twirled
The silky brown hair that perfectly framed her features
Like a dirty cop ignoring legal procedures
"Didjer once around with your eyes suit your fancy?"
She said with syrup dripping from her lips
I raised my brows in affirmation and nodded to be certain
"You know how to drape your frame." I said
With a second appreciative glance
"A lost art these days, which makes life difficult for us art connoisseurs"
"You're quick with the flattery kind sir
Not that there's anything I didn't mind hearing
Does make me think you are in the habit, though
Of casting about compliments as if baiting a hook
At least you're not shmaltzy about it, which is somehow endearing."
"Name's Sidney," she then announced, "though I'm known as Dis.
Which makes sense once you get to know me."
"I'm Kirby," I replied, "A name my mother anointed me with
As she was a big fan of the serial Sky King from the 1950s."
"Introductions out of the way, I suppose now we start the interrogations."
She stated that much like DC Reid would, in the later episodes
But before she married DCI Holmes
"Shall we draw straws or paper, rock, scissors for first question privilege?"
I quipped, trying my best to banter as a Southern Scot might
Carefully, like before the first seven or eight pints
She looked at me directly, switching gears to serious mode
And said, "I'll go first.
Are you married? Involved? Inquiring minds want to know.
Because I may be forward, I may be a flirt of sorts
But I'm no homewrecker, and I hope you're not a jerk."
My quick laugh was sincere, and I hoped she understood it to be.
"No," I said as firmly as I could, "I am not married or involved.
I am decidedly single, free of any cumbrance, save for a cat
That's honest full disclosure, I'm not even a beard, got tired of playing that."
"Not even a beard? That's an interesting statement - never met a cis-het man who rolled
For leading ladies that aren't interested in drinking at the tap
Then again, cis-het women do, so I guess the opposite must be true
In the spirit of your pronouncement of full disclosure then
I don't judge any of my sisters for the choices or inclinations they profess
But as for me, I don't shop or slop at the Gap"
We looked at one another as if staring at rare animals in the wild
For a second I could swear we both breathed sighs of relief
The modern world has made it easier to meet people
Websites abound so every variety of human walking the globe has access
Takes all the work out of searching for that elusive clover with four leafs
So we sat chatting and laughing and thinking
The minutes turned to hours and our glasses became coffee cups
When the waiter came over with the bill I noted she was particular but not finicky
And wondered which one of us would be the first to screw this up
No comments:
Post a Comment