Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Are You Tougher Than A Tuffshed

 The other day I put a ridiculously low bid on a storage shed that was sitting on some city condemned property In Longmont.

  I did not believe for a second that I would win this auction, but as luck would have it, I did.

  Possibly because one of the addendums to the auction was that the winning bidder was responsible for the removal of the storage shed from the condemned property.

  The storage shed measures 12' X 16' - about the size of a one car garage. In order to get that thing off the condemned property I would have to rent a truck big enough to move it in...disassembled, of course.

  Disassembling a Tuffshed is no easy task. Tuffsheds are notoriously difficult to disassembleas they are put together to withstand the worst that nature can dish out.

  But I was determined to get that shed from Longmont to my home, so I rented a box truck and made my way up north.

  This is the shed:

  It is a nice shed, and deserved a spot in my backyard

  The shed was fairly clean, and did not show worse for wear. So I set about disassembling it, convinced it would not be too difficult.

  I was wrong. The roof was the first thing I had to tackle. A small portion of the shingles had been blown off by the wind (60 to 80 mile gusts are not uncommon in Colorado)


  Which was a very small, but not unwelcome help. Took about an hour to get all the shingles and the tar paper off.


Took another hour to get all the plywood panels off.


The trusses, which were incredibly well attached to the frame of the shed, took another hour to remove.


Once the trusses were off, It was easy breezy lemon squeezy to get the front wall off (easy in that it was only the removal of 200 nails from all four corners of the walls).


  And boom goes the dynamite! The shed was disassembled and all that remained to be done was transporting it from Longmont to my home...which is an adventure that will be told on another day...

It seriously kicked my butt though.



  

  



No comments:

Post a Comment