The morning walk was going as uneventfully as ever
Until a woman walked up and said "Didn't we know each other in '94?"
In over twenty years of morning walks the total times anyone
Had ever said anything to him at all
Equaled a grand total of, well, never
Staring intently at her face as if it were an unusual flower
Wondering if maybe she had mistaken him for the guy who lived next door
He repeated the question to himself and replied
"If we did that would mean we were locked up in the same psych ward"
The woman seemed to stop breathing when she heard that
And then laughing said, "Well, now I'm quite certain that we did."
Which, if you factor in that he now was living seven states from there
Meant that a random coincidence of geography was afoot
The chances of such a meeting had to be a phenomenal stat
The woman stared at him and realised he was being serious
As he stared right back with almost irrational intensity
Trying to remember a time he had spent years working to forget
Which made his efforts an exercise in futility
"I must apologise," He said with courteous grace
"For I cannot rightly recall you or your name at this moment"
The space between them seemed to widen a little
And she spoke an apology with a hint of sadness
"My mistake, I thought I recognized your face"
After slight mutual hesitation they both resumed
Their walking in opposite directions on the same path
Both leaving the presence of the other with the same thought
That sometimes it's best not to revisit an old wound
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment