Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Sunday, January 27, 2013

With The Refinement Of A Wharfie

                                            A Quaint Little Place In Glasgow, Scotland

At some point people give up on other people. I know this because I have reached that point with a few people myself - thus I egotistically assume it must be universal.

The point, the crucial point, is no doubt directly correlated to the level of tolerance a person possesses for the idiosyncratic behavior, deviant activity, etc. that people exhibit.

Me, I reach that delicate point, that tipping point, when people however close blatantly disrespect me.

Example: I got four great tickets to a major sporting event last year. I had made plans with a woman I was fond of and two of her friends to attend this major sporting event. The morning of the major sporting event we meet for brunch and then proceed to the major sporting event as a group. While at the major sporting event the woman I was fond of and I made plans to continue the day after the major sporting event with dinner at a restaurant we both enjoy.

The sporting event ends. We make our way to the parking lot and to her vehicle (she drove me and two other people - this is a crucial point, so remember it).

Getting out of the parking lot after a major sporting event generally takes a bit of time. As we are patiently waiting for traffic to proceed, the woman I was fond of gets a call on her cell phone. I am not privy to the conversation, but from what I do hear I gather:

1) The person calling has an extra ticket to another major sporting event (basketball as opposed to football) occurring within an hour of the major sporting event we are currently trying to leave,

2) The woman I am fond of is oblivious to the fact I even exist, much less that we made dinner plans while at the game we are currently trying to make an exit from.

3) The woman I am fond of tells the caller that she has to drop people off before she can meet up with them to attend the second major sporting event.

Remember 5 paragraphs back when I mentioned a crucial point that needed to be remembered? The crucial point was that she drove. The thing was, she wasn't planning to. The only reason she drove was we missed the game day bus because we spent too much time at brunch.

What that means is, since she was not planning to drive to the game that day - an hour on a bus to the major sporting event we attended was a given, both there and back (two hours travel time total) - there was no way the second major event she was invited to was ever in the picture that day.

What that means is, when she was called while we were trying to get out of the parking lot of the first major sporting event, she had no idea the second sporting event would be on the table for her. However, when it was made available to her, I ceased to exist.

There was no "CRB, I have to ask for a rain-check on dinner as friend X just called and offered me a seat at this second major sporting event this very evening - I'll make it up to you, hope you don't mind."

So, we traveled in silence back to the parking lot of the restaurant we had met up at for brunch. As we all exited her vehicle, she asked what everyone was going to do. I can't clearly recall what her other two friends said, but I know what I said: "I'm going to the restaurant we made plans to have dinner at."

That was pretty much the last thing I said to her. 

Some people could no doubt tolerate being treated so disrespectfully. I just don't have it in me. I'm all "Fcuk disrespectful people."


2 comments:

  1. So you have been single for more than 1/3-1/2 your adult life ( just a guess I didn't do any math or research) and I'm sure you have come across a ton of these unappreciative self centered types . What was special about this one? Was she hot? Was she smart? Was she unavaliable? I'm intrigued !
    I've spent my life trying to surround myself with people that want to be around me, if they want to hang with me because of where I live or what I have F them . If they don't don't like me because the way I look or the way I dress F them! but you. You have always brought something unique to the the table,If she didn't get that f her . next

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a pretty smart cookie, and attractive. The one-two punch that usually does me in. Hey, Hope your B-day was happening for ya!

    ReplyDelete