Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Friday, April 26, 2013

Roll Over Raymond Chandler


   "I need your word on this Floyd. I need you to swear on a stack of Bibles piled to the moon that not a peep of this will ever escape your lips unless I'm done in - I'm serious, it's that serious."
   "You know I can't make that kind of a promise Sid - I'm an atheist. I'll tell you what, I'll swear on my kids lives. How's that?"
   "Which kids -from the first or third marriage?"
   "All of 'em Sid, what the hell. Now sit down - you want a Scotch? I have some good stuff - Walker Blue, smoootthh!"
    Sidney Meltzer eased cautiously into the well-worn leather of the cigar chair by the window in Floyd Yeats' office. His nervous eyes followed Floyd from the small refrigerator to the dry bar to the sink, scrutinizing every movement as if he might be called upon to recollect his friends actions under oath some day.
   "Here you go Sid - two fingers on the rocks. Now, what the hell has got your panties all wadded up?'
   "Floyd, you and I go way back - far enough back that you know I've never been one to look for trouble. Well, trouble fell into my lap this afternoon and there is no way I can deal with it alone. This is the kind of trouble that a man can either get very rich or very dead from, and I'm thinking I'd prefer the former."
   "Kerist Sid, cut with the dramatics, what the hell you got?"
   "Just this."
   Sidney Meltzer took a manilla envelope that had been folded in half from his inside jacket pocket and handed it to Floyd. Floyd knew it contained a CD the second his fingers grabbed it.
   "What's on the disc?"
   "Nothing you really want to watch. Just the current governor of this great state and two of his aides having a real good time in a hot tub. No lube."
   Floyd dropped the envelope as if it had suddenly burst into flames. His jaw dropped as his eyes swept over the front page of the newspaper on his desk. The full color picture showed the governor at his desk flanked on either side by his aides Miles Elliot and Alan Teagden. The headline, In 48 point font, stated boldy, "Gay Marriage Ban Signed".
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment