Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012

Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas San Diego, Ca. March 2012
Eddie Arana, Rick Thibodeau, & Chris Bakunas at Luche Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, March 2012

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Photographs My Father Left Behind

My father was a photographer while serving in the US Navy. I know this because the only item of note that he left behind when he bailed on the family was a duffle bag full of photographs and photographic equipment.

However, I have no idea what happened to that duffle bag or it's contents. Recently though I was made the recipient of a small box that contained a large number of my father's photographs, and a number of 8mm movies. I do not have an 8mm projector for the films, so I will probably have to get them transferred to a digital format by a service.

I decided to scan and post a few of his photographs. He had a bit of talent as a photographer, and some of the photos are historically interesting, at least to me. 

               The Mission at San Juan Capistrano, California, taken by Robert A. Long, 1953


        My Grandmother and Great-Grandfather, taken by Robert A. Long, S.F., Ca. 1954

According to family lore, they are standing in front of the restaurant my grandmother owned with her third husband in San Francisco, Ca.


Photograph of my maternal Grandfather, taken by Robert A. Long, location and date unknown

I state that the location and date this photograph was taken is unknown because there was nothing other than the identity of the subject written on the back of the photo. As he is wearing a suit very similar to the one in the previous picture though, I am going to venture a guess that it was taken in the same area and around the same time.


                                      Japanese child, taken by Robert A. Long April 1956

                      Japanese woman mending fishing nets, taken by Robert A. Long, April 1956 

                                 Japanese Fishermen, taken by Robert A. Long April 1956

                Aircraft Carrier docking in Tokyo Harbor, taken by Robert A. Long April 1956

Japanese women greeting a US Navy aircraft carrier, taken by Robert A. Long April 1956


                         Cart on a street in Japan, taken by Robert A. Long April 1956


          US Marines helicopter over Japan, taken by Robert A. Long date unknown

My father made several stops in Japan while serving in the US Navy, and apparently he was enamored with the country, as he took several hundred photographs of the countryside and the people over a twenty-year career.


   US Navy cameramen, taken by Robert A. Long date unknown (Naval Air Station Alameda)


                         Scuba gear, taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown

  A plane full of paratroopers (demo team), taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown


          US Naval Officer's official portrait, taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown

               US Naval Officer's portrait, taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown
   
I worked with a number of Air Force photographers while in the USAF and I know the majority of their time was allotted for official portraits. The two above by my father are typical for officers of high rank. Can you just imagine the direction given to the officer standing with the pipe in his hand? "Sir, if you could just glance stage left with a look of annoyance on your face, that'd be great."


  Pillings at Belmont Shores, taken by Robert A. Long, Long Beach, Ca 1958 

    Entertainment at a nightclub in California, taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown


    Late night street scene in a California town, taken by Robert A. Long, date and location unknown

The last three photographs are either in or around Long Beach, Ca., but only the first one actually has the location written on it. There is a street sign (visible with a 10X jeweler's loupe on the original photograph) that reads Ocean Way in the last photo - the only Ocean Way I can find in Southern California is in Santa Monica, but I can find nothing else to corroborate the location so it's anyone's guess.

I will post more photographs taken by my father tomorrow, including more from Japan (taken in the late '60's). 

The ones from Japan, btw, feature several of a small Japanese child who has obvious Caucasian features. Hmmm....





No comments:

Post a Comment